Friday, November 20, 2009

Live for the moment

I have always been a firm believer in living each moment as if it was the last day of your life. That doesn't mean I'm not a planner or did not save for the future because I always have. BUT, I always try to live each day with as much joy and love that I can squeeze in. Because no one knows when it will be over for them or for someone they love.

Funny, a former love once said that I've had everything I wanted in life. WTF! Did he think I wanted to give birth to a child and have my husband tell me he was in love with another? Did he think I wanted a child who spent enough time in hospitals with asthma? Did he think I wanted my only daughter to separate from her husband after having 2 babies and have her move in with me? WANT! I laughed. Well you always seem happy. As the tears streamed down my face - I choked out the words - "I chose to be happy". I chose to create a warm, and loving environment (not that life with a teenager was always loving). A home that was open to my daughter's friends. who would stay and talk to me about boyfriends even when she wasn't at home. I chose to make my life as good as I could...
As Edith Piaf sang - Non, je ne regrette rien.

I lived without a man in my life for 5 years before meeting Jene. And we laugh because neither of us was the other's type. But a relationship comes with ups and downs. 6 months into building a relationship, Jene had vascular surgery and I thought, he could die. He could be gone from me forever. At that time I wasn't even in love with him and I wondered where our relationship would end. END... I don't want to worry about that instead I would enjoy each moment while it lasted.

I was there for my parents while they were alive.... little regrets if any. I was there for my daughter and my granddaughters and even my son-in-law. I was there for my friends when they needed me because when they are gone - I can't go back in time and be there for them ...

People make fun of me, I've driven an hour north to be with a friend going through a divorce, then drove 2 hours south to be with a friend who's husband had died of lung cancer in a day. I fit it in because I want to, because I can, because it makes me happy. And yes, these are friends who in turn would be there for me at a drop of a hat.

Another thing I've learned is when your heart is full of love, there is little room for hate. And it is gives you a nicer outlook on life.

So my advice to all, especially when confronted with the thought of an end is to live for the moment and enjoy all that you can. (Of course without hurting anyone along your path - or doing anything illegal ;-) Count your blessings, enjoy what you have - not what you want, look inwardly for your peace and serenity. Don't expect it to come form others. It's your life, make it a good one.

Now I have encountered Carmen, a women facing a double mastectomy and I hope those around her heed my advise. Life is what you make of it. PERIOD

No comments:

Post a Comment