Friday, November 20, 2009

A radiant smile flashes, giving way to tears

When I/we first decided to help Carmen develop her photo journal I didn't know what was involved. I thought some sensual before and after pictures which is what Carmen originally intended but after you start you find out there is so much more to tell and more that she wants to tell. This is a story that is involved on many levels because Carmen is living on many levels. There's the get through the day Carmen, the Carmen with friends & family, the Carmen alone at night and the Carmen in the arms of her lover. All of this has a deep effect on her... the many faces of Carmen. Carmen is allowing me to tell my story - these are my feelings and observations. I am doing this as a means of helping her to tell her own story. So she can see where the images are going and can make adjustments along the way. Something like the dailies in the movie business.




















































Tonight Jene & I will meet some of her family and dearest friends. Her sister Lilliana has already reached out to me because of my blog, and portrayal of her baby sister. I will meet her mother and will feel her pain and fears for her daughter. Carmen & I spoke of this mother/daughter connection. How I was ushered off to Florida with my parents who wintered down there because they didn't want to leave me alone after my husband left me and my infant daughter. Without words or acquisations they sensed I needed watching over. Most mothers would lay down their lives for their children, wishing that they were the ones striken but instead they must bear witness to their child's suffering and be the pillar of strength.

Time is a factor. She is scheduled for surgery on the 1st of Dec. Monday, we hope to take images on a more intimate level with her lover. Because these are important to her - in spite of the disease she carries inside her, she is still a vital loving woman with all the connections and feelings that go along with being Carmen.

We're just 2 more people here for you Carmen - for what ever that is worth. I think of the people surrounding Carmen like dolphins - they will hold another dolphin up to the surface if they are injured....Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment